Friday, December 7, 2007

An Educational Book That Everyone Should Read

Say "I" if you watch more than two hours of TV a week. I'll guess out of 10 people who read this, 9 out of 10 do watch over 2 hours a week. Now, say "I" if you use the computer over 2 hours a week, for non-educational purposes. I'd say that also, 9 out of 10 people do that too, including me. But I'm starting to cut back, so don't worry.
This book I'm showing you is not a book about television. It's a book about television's effects on families, children, and pretty much everybody. It provides information about the studies, projects, and opinions of groups and certain individuals. By the way, the author's children, grandchildren, nieces, and nephews don't own a TV.
If you really thought about it, maybe you'd realize that TV isn't all it's cracked up to be. Don't get me wrong now, there are some good shows out there. It's just that most of the shows are junk. You know why most kids have no free time? It's not because the teacher's give a lot of homework, or because the school hours are too long, (although I agree with both of those), it's mainly because kids spend all the hours in between watching television. The reason? Because the parents have hooked them onto it since they were little teeny babies watching Sesame Street.Am I a parent? No. But I know that when I become one, I will severely limit my children's TV watching time.
We don't have cable, which, I think, has played the biggest part in our television avoiding habits. I don't honestly want to sit down and watch stupid shows on ABC that I've never even heard of. Funny thing is, that's exactly what some kids do when their shows aren't on. They just watch shows that they hate or shows that they don't know anything about. WHY???
I wish TV had never been invented. Computers, fine. They aren't as addicting and they are a whole lot more helpful than TV shows. Maybe one day Americans will see that television really isn't all it's cracked up to be.

No comments: