Thursday, December 6, 2007

My American Girl Doll

This is my beautiful, treasured, collectible American Girl Doll. Okay, so maybe it isn't collectible, but I don't really play with her anymore, so what else should I say?
I've owned Josefina, (Ho-se-fi-na), since I was eight, so about five years. I got her for a present after I fasted my first Ramadan, which is the Muslim holiday in which we fast from daybreak to sunset. I remember how thrilled I was when I opened the box, and I remember how my brother thought the box had his present in it. He was six at the time and our grandmother got him a Stanley tape measure, which my dad thought was the coolest present in the world: "Moby, even I don't have a Stanley tape measure!"
So there the legacy of my doll was born. Getting older, I was jealous of so many people because they always had so much more than I did, but I know that this shows how wealthy we really are. My friend totally collects these dolls. I think she has one of each kind. Eventually, my two sisters got the picture and started fasting whole Ramadan's too, but only in the past two years. Maryam got her's the year we were in Senegal, Kaya, and Iman got her's just this past Ramadan, Elizabeth. Funnily, none of us even have the look alike dolls.
I would say I have at least 15 different outfits for my doll. I don't use them anymore, but I sure did then. I'm thinking that when I grow up I'll pass the doll onto my daughter when she fasts her first Ramadan.
The good thing about these historical dolls is that they come with a series of six books about their life between the ages of nine and ten. Each one has a facts section in the back that tells you how life went back then. My doll supposedly lived in 1824 in Mexico, before it split.
These dolls are beautiful, even if they are expensive. I treasure mine still, and I know perfectly well that any girl would be happy with just one of them.

No comments: