Monday, December 3, 2007

A Big Box of Big Lego Bricks

Okay, so maybe a lot of people are more interested in the teeny Lego Bricks. But I'm sure that all the fanatics started out the same way I did: MegaBlocks. I call them Big Legos. I remember when I was little, probably in about second grade, I would spend time building houses with these. We have these really great green boards that you can just build on. There were three things I had so much fun building: a house, the beach, or a jungle with a river.
When, I built the house, everything had to be perfect, because I was probably more of a perfectionist then than I am now. Oh boy, what a perfectionist I was. All the bricks had to be the exact same kind. They all had to be 2x4s. None of the mixing and switching between 2x4s and 2x2s. The bottom row of bricks had to be blue, the next row, green, then yellow, then red. After I was done I filled the house with people, animals, plants, magic carpets, beds, chairs, you name it. I even put bathrooms in there; that's how accurate I wanted it to be. The only problem was that the house wasn't very big, so it kind of got a bit crowded in there.
When I built a beach, I made half of the board blue for the sea, and the other half yellow for the sand. Then I put "Porto-potties," chairs, cars, food, and anything else you'd need at a beach. I put some people there too, but there were no characters with swimsuits.
When I made a jungle, all my needs were satisfied because we have so many unique Lego pieces. There's a cloth leaf you can hang from a tree. The leaf had a hole in it so that you can hide a person in it. The tree was hollow so it could be used for a house. We had a teapot and some wood logs that it could be put upon. On the very edge of the board, I put about three rows of blue bricks for a river. We had a Lego canoe, so I pretended that my person was riding it. We even had little cloth backpacks, the perfect size to hold a block of food, and it even fit on the figure's back! There were gigantic bumblebees and butterflies that you could ride, and so much more.
I think my dad got the set at a garage sale down the street. For an 8 year old kid, that was magic. I probably never would've gotten hooked on Legos unless my dad bought it. I brought out my creativity more than I ever had done, and probably ever will again. If you need something that will help you express yourself, or that you can just have fun with, I highly recommend any type of Lego bricks.

No comments: