Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Our Newly Renovated Stairs

Okay, so maybe our house isn't all nice and fancy, but parts of it are. Okay, maybe only two or three parts, but parts of it are, all the same. This is one of them.
So my dad picked up this hitchhiker about three and a half weeks ago. Turns out he's a builder, and my mom always wanted the carpet off of the stairs. So he rips up the carpet and pulls down the banister. Then, after measuring, my dad spends about four hours at all the hardware stores trying to find suitable wood. When he finally does, he brings it back, and while we're in Virginia for Thanksgiving, the guy watching our house nails them in.
So we come back and find the stairs nailed in, but we still can't use them because they have to be polished. For about a week, my dad didn't do anything about it. Then he finally went to the store and bought the oil. I was at the mall last weekend with my friends, and he FINALLY finished it. Even after that he still wouldn't let us use it until YESTERDAY!!!!!!! So it's all done now. Happily. Nicely.
For three whole weeks I had to go up and down the front stairs. It was really annoying. Agh! Too much exercise! Okay, it wasn't a whole lot more, but it was so hard to do it. Even now, with the stairs done, instinct just tells me to go the other way. Ouch.
Our next renovation project will be the toy area... again. We have to get rid of the octagonal table and move the couch over by the windows. I'm sitting there right now, and it feels so crowded. Just like my bedroom closet, only worse. That's saying something.

No comments: