Friday, April 18, 2008

More Biography...

Sooo... let's keep going with this biography thing. I think I'm almost done.
The summer of fourth grade, we drove all around the country. We went from North Carolina to Arizona, then we went to California, and then up to Washington State, and then back east to Massachusetts, then south to North Carolina. And there were plenty of stops along the way, believe me. Grandparents, relatives, friends, you get the picture. My mom went to Saudi Arabia with the famous Muslim lecturer Hamza Yusef, so we drove her to California, and we met her in New York a couple weeks later. As much as I hate traveling, I have to admit that that summer was really fun. My dad always said we should paint a map of the US on our car and color in all the states we've been to.
Okay, not that I hated all the other years of school I've been in, but fifth grade totally bombed them all to pieces. That year was sooooooooooo fun. I had the BEST fifth grade teacher, and everyone in fifth grade new it. Mr. Phillips was the best teacher in the SCHOOL, let alone fifth grade.
Fifth grade was so different. The teachers decided to make it a bit more like middle school to get us used to it. So they split up the whole grade between the three teachers, depending on how good you were at Language Arts and Math. Ms. Podpora got the smart math people and average LA people, Mr. Phillips got the smart LA people and average math people, and I think Ms. Scott got the struggling LA and math people. And after LA and math we switched back to our normal classes for Science, Social Studies, and all the other stuff we did. Mr. Phillips also did Mental Math with his homeroom. That was fun.
That year almost the whole grade went to Camp Kanuga. It was a two night stay, and we did a lot of fun activities. Everyone who went was split into groups; I think there were five. I made some good friends on that trip. Not that I talk to them anymore. It was too late in the year to make the friendships stronger. But I still remember them, all the same. Some people couldn't go to camp because they were so bad. All the fifth grade teachers had this chart. It had the names of all the people in the class on it, and if you ever got your card pulled, they took off one point. At the end of the day, the teacher calculated how many points you had and wrote it on the chart. When it was almost time to go to camp, you had to have a certain number of points to be able to go. Quite a few people that you thought wouldn't be able to go actually got to.
Mr. Phillips is now the assistant-principal-in-training of the school. What could be a better job? I hope he stays at Oakhurst though. It'd suck if I never got to see him again cause I don't know which school he's at. =(
I can't remember what I did that summer. I think we stayed home most of the time, but probably went to see my grandparents or something.
Sixth grade. Whole new school. Brand new people. Agh.
Well, I got used to it after awhile. I made some new friends, but I only talk to one of them now, because everyone else has forgotten me. What, I leave for a year, and nobody cares when I come back?!
But anyway, I had some nice teachers and everything, and I was in all the scholars classes. You want to know all my classes? Here you go:
Language Arts: Mrs. Norton
Math: Ms. Ravert
Science: Mrs. Webb, later Ms. Brisson after Mrs. Webb went on maternity leave.
Social Studies: Mrs. Stevens
Band: Mr. Love
Gym: Mr. Gibson
Spanish/French: Ms. Sadow/Ms. Long?
That summer, we got ready to go to Africa. And on September 6, we left America. Some birthday present! We stayed there for 10 months. We were planning on leaving in July, but Moby had to go and break his arm on the monkey bars, so we were delayed.
I spent all 7th grade there, and I learned a lot about life, and how it should be lived. The Senegalese are so cool. There's a lot of drama, but their lives are so much better than ours, in a way. If there wasn't anything to come back to in America, I might've stayed. OKAY I ADMIT IT, MOM! NOW LEAVE ME ALONE!
When I got back, they wouldn't let me back into Randolph, so instead of going to Northridge, I got homeschooled. 8 months later, here I am, tall skinny, guitar playing, songwriting, basketball playing, sewing, smart me. Although my brother seems to think the opposite. Jerk.
Time to go. It's been time to go for five minutes. And that's my biography. Not very interesting, I know. But who cares? It's MY life. YOU don't have to live it. Bye now!

No comments: