Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Monopoly

Did you know that Monopoly is the top selling board game of all time? You probably did. Did you ever wonder why people like it so much? Probably not. All I do know is that it is the awesomest game ever. And, yes, I know I said awesomest.
Monopoly is just a fun way to attempt to get richer and richer. Sometimes you succeed, and sometimes you don't. It's all about luck. Whenever I play, I always have to have the dark blues, greens, yellows, reds, and railroads. I don't usually end up with all of them, but I need some of them. It's also fun to rip people off. I'll have something that the other player wants, and they'll have something that I want. We exchange. I'm really good at bargaining. Especially when I need something that is worth more than what they need. And every now and then I'll give up valuable property so that I can get enough money. I also play by the Free Parking rule where you receive money when you land on it. That's not an official rule, but I still use it anyway. It keeps me from going broke.
The only problem is that when I try to buy all the expensive properties, I end up mortgaging some of the valuable ones. I always lose money because in the beginning I buy less expensive ones to use for bargaining. I think it's a good strategy though.
The most despicable space of all is the Income Tax space. When you pass go, you obviously expect to get 200 bucks, but if you end up on the Income Tax space, you don't get that! Unless you do 10% which ends up to be less than $200 ONLY on your first turn, unless you have no properties and a little bit of money. It's too much math to do anyway.
I like Monopoly, and unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family who does, except my dad, but he only likes the original. He hates variants of any sort. So if I get really lucky, someone will come over and want to play with me. Last week this girl came over twice and she played it with me almost all the time. I was happy then. I think we played around 4 games, and we each won twice.

No comments: