Monday, February 4, 2008

A 3-D Puzzle

You remember how I said how I love puzzles? Well, this is proof. Do you have any idea how long it took me to do this puzzle? A looong time. And on top of it all it's missing pieces. At least it's only two, and I'm allowed to send away to get them replaced. Heehee.
To do this puzzle I had to build each wall separately, and then I had to put them all together. Let me list out all the steps in building this one-of-a-kind puzzle.
First, I had to sort out the pieces from the junk. All the pieces were made squarish, and a lot of them aren't really supposed to be that shape. So the people who make it mark the junk with red dots, and you have to go through every piece and take out the red dot parts of it. It's hard work. And I had to do it twice because I missed some of the harder to find parts.
Next I had to sort out all the pieces according to their color. Trust me, with a puzzle this hard, that's something that you just automatically want to do. The groups I sorted out were brick pieces, textured brick pieces, brown pieces, red/pink pieces, dark blue pieces, white pieces, green/fall color pieces, weird design pieces, and then all the pieces that looked like they belonged on the top of a roof or tower. It made solving the puzzle so much easier.
After that I solved each group one by one, starting with the easiest stuff. The key thing for solving the hard group was the windows. That's how I solved it all. Windows. Each one has it's own unique shape and part that goes with it. Eventually they all end up joining together.
After I eventually got everything put together, I had to build the castle in 3-D, and that is a lot harder than it looks. First you want to build the back wall, but before you do that you have to have support for it, so you have to build the side wall too. Luckily for me I had a paper that showed me where everything goes. When my parents found out they called it cheating. Maybe next time THEY should have to build it. Lets see if they can figure it out! The hardest part about building it 3-D is that you end up having to take some stuff off. The walls are easy. Once you get to putting the roofs on, then it's tricky because you have to squeeze them into tight spaces, which isn't so good. But hey, I managed to do it. It took me about an hour though. I was watching Batman Begins when I started, and about 20 minutes after it ended, including credits, I was done. That's how long it took.
Now I just need to either send away or find those two pieces I'm missing. You can't see them in the picture because one is in the back and the other is in a tight corner on the side.
Now how am I going to get those in place without dismantling the whole thing? Well, I did it before, I guess I'm gonna have to do it again.
Before I got this, I wanted the San Francisco puzzle, but it was hard to find. This puzzle is 1000 pieces, and most people would've said it was hard, but I found it way easier then I expected. 3-D puzzles are awesome, but they aren't for puzzle beginners, let me tell you.

No comments: