Monday, February 25, 2008

A Tape Dispenser

Yes, I know it's a tape dispenser. I don't know why I took a picture of it, but oh well, who cares?! Maybe I should use it as an example of life.
Every roll of tape is made in a factory, packed in a box, then packed in a bigger box, shipped to a store, Staples or Walmart or wherever, and then they are bought, taken home, put in a dispenser, used up, and then the roll is thrown away. How is this an example of life, you ask? Well, you'll notice that I didn't say A ROLL OF TAPE. That's because all tape ends up in the same place. The trash. Or recycling. Or wherever. But think about people. We're all born, grow up, get married, have kids, and die. That's the natural way, but in between all these stages, we have choices that we make. Whether it's about religion, or marriage, or school, or running away, we all have choices to make, which result in things. A roll of tape, it has no choice. It's guaranteed to go into a tape dispenser, unless whoever bought it doesn't have one, but you get the point, hopefully. That's why people and inanimate objects are so different. People have choices. Many choices.
Like right now, I have the choice to stop writing, but here's what I risk from doing that:
-My dad getting mad at me
-My MOM getting mad at me
-Having to write more later, when I could be writing songs or playing outside.
-And getting mad at my perfectionist self because I get mad when everything is so different from everything else.
So out of those four things, I'd prefer not to go through with any of them, so I keep writing. That's life.
Now say that someone wants to skip public school for a day because they want to go shopping at the mall. Here's what they risk:
-Getting caught and sent to school anyway
-Getting a mark on your record
-Having extra homework the next day because you didn't come
-Going to detention if you don't have a good excuse for being absent
-Your parents grounding you
So you see, isn't it better to just wait for the weekend, instead of risking all these things? I mean, there is a chance that none of them will happen, but that's very slim, unless you're an absolutely wonderful skipper.
And do you get my point now? A roll of tape doesn't have choices and consequences. That's what makes us so unique. And if we do good things, chances are we'll get good things in return. Sure life can be hard, but hey, that's the way it works. You know what my motto is?
IF YOU WANT TO LIVE LIFE, THEN IT'S WORTH LIVING

No comments: